STUDENT LIFE AT IMT-NAGPUR
Amidst the green lustres of nature, spread across a sprawling area, with a state of the art infrastructure, lies the picturesque fully residential campus of IMT, Nagpur. Here, the environment is so established that learning and knowledge is enhanced beyond class room teachings.
The campus has a vibrant body of students who get an opportunity to build and express their talents in many ways, be it management games, group study or presentations. It is an atmosphere where they experience the cultural diversity of people from different parts of the country and learn to acclimatize to these differences that will help them in later stages of their career and life.
The institute encourages students to participate in the running of the college by letting them handle matters relating to quality of life on campus, including management of extra- curricular activities and other "soft" issues. This increases the flow and transparency of communication between the student body and the faculty/management.
The institute has laid great emphasis on co-curricular activities like sports, verbal communication techniques and socio- cultural events. There are many committees that conduct the events which help the students in exercising their minds and bodies and express the creativity and learn the values of team building, team dynamics and group activities.
Activities in the college are student-driven to ensure holistic learning. The various committees and forums, run and managed by students under the aegis of a head faculty, are a testimony to the above said fact.
The primary committees in the college are as follows:
Placements form an integral part of any b-school. Here at IMT, Nagpur we ensure better placements for all by having a dedicated placement committee comprising of students selected after a transparent and impartial process. Though the placement scenario is driven by students they are continuously monitored and supervised by the Chairperson.
Corporate Communications Committee
This committee works on marketing and promotion of "Brand IMT-N". In this endeavour it maintains close relations with the media both local as well as national. It bridges the gap between college and rest of the world. This committee brings out the internal quarterly magazine OPUS and a bi-monthly newsletter Pulse. This committee brings out in the open the happenings inside the campus-acts as a liaison between IMT and the world. It also maintains the college official website as well as college profile on social media like Facebook, LinkedIn etc.
Corporate Interaction Committee
Integration of classroom learning with corporate world forms the essence of a PGDM course. IMT ensures this through frequent guest lectures from eminent and experienced persons from the industry. This committee is responsible for arranging and facilitating these interactions with the corporate world.
This committee conducts and organises the two main events of the Institute- Milestone 34-the intra college business fest and Milestone 35- The business fest where students of other b-schools across India come and participate in the events.
- BUZZHARD - It is the most awaited intra college event where students form a team of 20-25 members and promote themselves on the theme. The teams who win must perform consistently well not only at promotions and marketing but also in games of all forums.
- MILESTONE 35 - The annual inter college event held at IMT-N campus where students from other B-school compete against each other. The stakes are very high as students from top B-school are invited to participate in the event aggressively. This event comprises of B-School quizzes and games from each and every forum of the college. Be it marketing, finance, economics, IT etc., the participants are tested and examined on improvising the concepts learned with real scenarios and situations.
- Ovia committeeThis committee, aimed at promoting Indian culture at the Institute, provides a platform for students to showcase and hone their talents. Besides being the pulse of the campus during festivals and special occasions, it also organizes movie/documentary screenings, music soirees and symposiums.
Other student groups working as sub-committees are as follows
- Zimfonia - It is the official college band consisting of students from both years. It consists of best of students who are excellent in singing, playing musical instruments as well as
- Vyaktitva - Vyaktitva believes that every human being has unlimited potential within. Within the individual lies the power to dream big and then realize those dreams. It has been the quest at Vyaktitva to bring out the best in people through interventions specifically designed to enhance their performance. It organizes activities such as presentations, extempore, group discussions, mock interviews and news reading. It also organises Blood donation camp every year on institute day.
- Rangmanch - It is the team of students who perform street plays. They mainly aim at understanding of social issues with a blend of fun and seriousness.
- Envision - It is the fun and entertainment forum that takes care of student entertainment by screening movies as well as TV serials and providing them with the best of the lot.
- Literatti - It is literature forum aimed at student managers who are fond of literature, poetry and likewise. The forum works on the principle of sharing the thoughts and admiring good scripts as well as books.
- Ureka - It is the creative cell and attracts student managers who are well versed in creation of logos, art & craft, ads, sketching and photography.
It consists of group of students who ensures healthy and hygienic food to all the students, faculty and staff members of IMTN. Its responsibilities include inventory control, menu selection, efficient operations and quality control. The challenges lie in balancing individual's palettes while providing them with wholesome, nutritious food.
Sports are the part and parcel of life and IMT philosophy has no contradictions with it. The lush and green campus provides area for various indoor and outdoor games. This team organises Ranbhoomi (intra-college event) and Mahasangram (inter-college event) once every academic session.
IMT is known for the Intellectual Capital it possesses and ideas are the outcome of that capital. But what is this world, without the confluence, convergence and sharing of ideas. Freedom Thinkers is an initiative started by the student managers of the batch 2010-12 for the same concept of providing a platform to share and build on the ideas. For the past one year, Freedom Thinkers have united and brain stormed the various factual and abstract lines of thinking. The topics of the discussions have been as huge as the current Euro Crisis or as abstract as the 'Art of Giving in any Relationship'. The motives behind the meetings have always been the sharing of knowledge, ideas and view points and will always remain so. The platform would always be open to criticism, praise and debates while exploring the new horizons of printing or documenting its discussions in the coming times.
Apart from this the institute has a lot of forums They are:
MARQUE - MARKETING FORUM
It is a platform for budding marketing professionals. It provides a platform for students to discuss latest trends and concepts in marketing field to the students with articles and discussions from several eminent personalities from the corporate world. It also organizes regular marketing related activities on the campus such as quizzes, case studies, ad games, panel discussions and lectures from eminent personalities in the industry.
- MARQUEPEDIA - It is the annual marketing conclave of IMT-N. The marque team coordinates and cooperates to bridge the gap and link the real and current marketing scenarios with predefined marketing concepts and models. This 3 day event generally comprises of theme based guest lectures, discussions and innovative and creative marketing games.
FINAHOLICS - FINANCE FORUM
It is an interactive student forum taking the learning of Finance outside the classroom. Acknowledging the need for strong finance fundamentals, this forum adds knowledge and skills through activities such as mock stock market games, panel discussions, case studies and presentations. Smart Finance is a new concept introduced by Finaholics which helps the students to learn difficult concepts in finance in simplest way through a 4 minute video featuring things that we experience in day to day life. Finaholics also publishes Maalamaal Weekly to solidify the understanding in finance. Know more about finaholics
- ARTHAVYUH Finaholics also organizes annual finance IMT conclave "ARTHAVYUH" where eminent personalities, basically in finance or economics field, share their insights and experiences. This event is a combination of theme based guest lectures, panel discussions, question answers session and finance games for students.
STRATEGIT - IT FORUM
It strives to ensure that IMTians stay ahead of the knowledge curve by inculcating computing logic and key skills. It achieves this by organizing discussions on successful as well as failed implementations of information models, internet based business modeling, quizzes and industry interaction through eminent practicing IT professionals.
XploHRe - HR FORUM
Acknowledging the need and importance of HR in today's ever competitive and globalized corporate world, Confluence conducts role plays, guest lectures and hosts various games to equip the students with necessary people skills.
VYAKTITVA - PERSONALITY DEVELOPMENT FORUM
Vyaktitva believes that every human being has unlimited potential within. Within the individual lies the power to dream big and then realize those dreams. It has been the quest at Vyaktitva to bring out the best in people through interventions specifically designed to enhance their performance. It organizes activities such as presentations, extempore, group discussions, mock interviews and news reading.
BRAIN DREAD - QUIZ FORUM
From the quiz junkies to the casual quizzers, everyone can pit their brains against each other in regular, specialized quizzes in areas like sports, business, marketing, IT, general quiz, etc. BrainDread has made a mark outside IMT-N as well in various B-quizzes such as AlMA Quiz, Pune; Tata Crucible; IMT Ghaziabad; NMIMS, Mumbai; Nirma fest and VNIT Quiz. It has conducted quizzes at IMT-N's 'Milestone-35' with professional quizzers like Pranab Mukherjee and Avinash Mudaliar.
OKONOMOS - THE BUSINESS & ECONOMICS FORUM
Okonomos - Greek for economics - promotes interests in day-to-day business happenings and inter-disciplinary interactions. Through its activities it brings a practical approach to classroom learning. Activities such as budget symposium, panel discussions, business games, B-plans are regularly conducted by the forum
CYCLOPS - OPERATIONS
OPSLOGIC provides a platform for IMTians to showcase their creativity and ingenuity in Operations management and allied activities. The Forum conducts various events and games based on the concepts of Operations. It is also a medium to update students with the latest developments taking place in the field of Operations and Supply Chain. It also guides students desiring to undertake APICS certification exams and help them prepare for various national B- School events related to Operations. It also plans to help in smooth running of the operations inside the institute.
Entrepreneurial venture by the students:
- The Students' Co-operative Store- PRAYATNA an example of the enterprising student-driven initiatives that IMT-N encourages. This low cost venture provides students with attractive alternatives to take care of their basic needs.
- FROST 'N' FUN meets the needs of students who want to relish the delicacies served here, late into the night as well.
- Campus Oxygen also known as CO2 is a student driven venture takes care of the laundry needs of the students at the campus. They also provide students with doorstep newspaper subscription facilities.